A 15-year-old Illinois boy thought creatively when it came to his Eagle Scout project to culminate his Boy Scout career, lending a hand to local retirees through the creation of medical emergency ID cards.
According to the Pioneer Press, Chad Holland of La Grange said the idea came to him while he was babysitting a younger child in his neighborhood. The child's mother wrote down emergency information on an index card, and Holland thought that such documents could be very beneficial for retirement-age individuals.
"At first I was going to do the project just for kids," Holland told the news source. "But then I realized the group the project would benefit the most was the elderly. If they fall and can’t talk, they’ll have a card with them, and the paramedics will know who to call."
Still, the 15-year-old ultimately decided to expand the project to area children as well, particularly since many kids were heading to summer camp or families were taking vacations, according to the media outlet.
Overall, Holland said he ended up creating an emergency ID card for nearly 100 people in only two hours. It turned out, the only hiccup came when the software and printer used to make the cards malfunctioned. But even that wasn't enough to stop the project, Holland told the Press.
"I found another way to pass out the cards so the elderly did not have to just sit and wait for the cards," Holland explained. "I ended up putting the cards in their mailboxes, or they also could sit and wait."
Efforts to provide individuals of all ages with emergency identification cards have been stepped up across the country, as Mercy Gilbert Medical Center recently held a free clinic for parents to keep their children safer. The clinic reportedly provided parents with a laminated photo identification in addition to a CD containing photographs, videos, digital fingerprints and safety information, according to ABC 15.
The objective of the clinic is to offer assistance to police as well as organizations such as the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in case of an emergency, the news source reported. The event was open to parents of children 3 years old and older, according to ABC 15.